Thursday, March 7, 2013

New Art, and possibly a new obsession!

     It has been quite some time since my last post here, and my blog, as well as my art, have been undergoing some changes. After much thought on the matter, I have decided to change my blog name from "Primitives & Whimsies" to "Art & Whimsies". I know it's not a major change, but it feels like it to me. I have not made "primitives" for quite some time.... so I am not really sure why it took me so long to make this change.

    At the same time I am starting to feel that my art is taking on it's own individuality... finally. That, to me, is a big deal!

Here are a few newer paintings that I have been working on....
 
Keeper of the Sea (progress photo)

          Practicing painting "loose", as opposed to my usual OCD detail all the time. This one was fun, it was nice to just relax and let the paint do it's thing.

Mixed Media Collage on cardboard.
Mixed Media collage on watercolor paper
 These last three were part of a facebook challenge, led by Jane Spakowsky (GrittyJane), which was a 10 Day Painting Challenge. We were challenged to make one piece of art a day, for 10 days. It was a great challenge... but one that I did not quite finish.... I made it to day 7. Oh well! It was fun anyway =).

Now to the newest obsession... or at least it might be if all works out well ;).
For the longest time I have been admiring, and one day hoping to adopt, an adorable Blythe doll. *sigh* They are just so cute, customizable, and photogenic!!!! But the price tag gets me every time!! About a year ago I had my eye on one on Ebay that needed a lot of work, which would have been perfect because I that is exactly what I was wanting to do..... but I hesitated and missed out on a great opportunity. Since then I have gone back many times, but they just seem to be getting more and more expensive!! For my first time customizing, I just could not see spending that much.

Then I stumbled upon the adorable Tangkou dolls!!! Seemed too good to be true, a doll very much like a Blythe, but for 1/3 of the price! So I started looking online for reviews and saw some great things, and very little that was bad. So I decided to buy myself an early birthday present =). 

Here is what she looks like.

Click to go to Tangkou site
    I think I am in LOVE! I ordered her about a week ago, and have been patiently waiting for her to come in! Thankfully Hubby checked the post office this morning, and she is in, just have to wait for him to bring her home =).
    So, you can probably expect another post tomorrow with pics!!

No comments: