Sunday, November 24, 2013

DIY Paper Garland


I seem to be transitioning into a vintage book theme for much of our Christmas decor. Last year my boys and I made some beautiful heart paper ornaments, along with a rolled paper star for the top of the tree.
This year I decided to try my hand at making a paper garland. I posted a pic on my instagram this afternoon, which sparked questions as to how it was made. That is where this blog post comes in :).
I know that there are a bunch of people making similar garlands, and I in no way claim that this is my own original idea, this is just my own interpretation. 


You will need a big stack of paper; from books, sheet music, maps... whatever you would like. A paper punch of the size and shape that you desire, but at least 1 1/2" at it's narrowest point. And a sewing machine with heavy white thread, set at a fairly wide stitch.

 

Start by punching out a big pile of paper pieces, you will need quite a bit to make a long garland. 


Pull out several inches of thread from both the spool and bobbin before starting your stitches, this will be for hanging later. Sew 4 paper pieces at a time, right down the middle. Between each little stack of papers, make several "empty" stitches to create a space between each paper ornament.
Continue along until you have the length you desire.
Leave another few inches of thread on this end for hanging.


Now you can begin fanning out your pages. Press each piece open to create a 3D effect.

Now you have your very own paper garland =).
I will be adding mine to my wall tree, once I get it put up.

No classic literature was harmed in the making of this garland. I generally use books that are damaged, or that were destined for the dump.... especially copies of old Reader's Digest books ;).

No comments: